Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Book Review #6 "Blood Lust" by Alexandra Ivy

Blood Lust 
(The Sentinels #3)
by Alexandra Ivy
Publish Date: May 31, 2016
Genre: Paranormal Romance 18+

How Many Stars? 4
Synopsis: Blessed and cursed by their hidden abilities, the Sentinels have no choice but to live, and love, on the edge of humanity . . .

The Sentinel assassin, Bas, is facing the greatest challenge of his outcast existence. His young daughter, Molly, has been kidnapped. But her disappearance has brought the return of her mother, Myst, whom Bas has never forgotten - or forgiven. 

Haunted by a vision that she's destined to create a weapon that will destroy thousands, Myst was never impulsive - until she met the irresistibly handsome Bas. But with the Brotherhood, the enemy of the high-bloods hunting for her, Myst had to stay on the run, to keep her child, and the world, safe. Now, with the most important thing in both their lives at stake, she and Bas must embark on a treacherous journey to save Molly, to confront the truth of Myst's fate - and to face their fierce desire for one another. 

My Scribbles: (I received this book free in exchange for my honest review) I am thankful that this series is one of those where yes, the books seem to be connected, but they are all about different characters. So I didn't really feel at a loss when I found out this was the 3rd book in the series and of course, I hadn't read the first two. That being said, it was a bit slow in the beginning but after about 10% or so, I found I couldn't put it down! I think the beginning was the only reason I gave this book 4 instead of 5 stars. 

I have read some reviews that made the author's use of the terms "that female" or "this male" sound archaic and unappealing. For me, personally, I didn't think there was anything wrong with it. It gave a hinting that these two end up together and those two end up together. Shows you where the romance is and I think it actually makes the romance seem stronger. Bas thinks of Myst as "his", even from the beginning (although he spends most of the book trying to convince himself that is had nothing to do with his feelings). And of course, Myst is this troubled soul who has had this vision that she's going to cause the destruction of Valhalla and their people. So she thinks she can never have a normal life, can't be a mother to her child, can't find love. It's fun watching how, little by little, she starts to open up to Bas and think, hey, maybe this can happen! 

There is one pretty steamy scene, nothing I would say qualifies this book to be erotic. We're talking a few pages in an entire book. 

I really enjoyed this book and am definitely going to look out for more books by Alexandra Ivy from here on. Maybe even check out the others in the Sentinels series (although I have troubles jumping into the same world but visiting different characters . . . it just seems off to me). If you want to pick up this book (which comes out today!!), check it out on Amazon, Barnes and Noble, or Kobo

Happy Memorial Day weekend!