Thursday, May 5, 2016

Book Review #1 - "So Shines the Night" by Tracy L. Higley

So Shines the Night
by Tracy L. Higley

How Many Stars? 0 - DNF
Format Read: e-book, received free for review
Synopsis: On an island teetering at the brink of anarchy, Daria finds hope among people of The Way.

She escaped a past of danger and found respite in beautiful Ephesus, a trading center on the Aegean coast, serving as tutor to Lucas, the wealthy merchant who rescued her. 

But the darkness she fled has caught up with her. 

The high priests of Artemis once controlled the city, but a group of sorcerers are gaining power. And a strange group who call themselves followers of The Way further threaten the equilibrium. As Daria investigates Lucas's exploits into the darker side of the city, her life is endangered, and she takes refuge in the strange group of believers. She's drawn to Paul and his friends, even as she wrestles with their teachings. 

When authorities imprison Lucas for a brutal crime, Daria wonders if even Paul's God can save him. Then she uncovers a shocking secret that could change everything - Lucas's fate, her position in his household, and the outcome of the tension between pagans and Christians. But only if she survives long enough to divulge what she knows. 

My Scribbles: Let me say right off the bat that I really enjoy most of the Christian Fiction that I have read so far and I received this book free in exchange for my honest review. And I tried so hard to get into this one. Right away, however, I could not relate to the main character, Daria. I didn't like her at all. She exists in a world where being an educated woman is not something to be proud of. It makes you very undesirable. That did not work for me. Also, I know it is appropriate to the time this book is set in, but most of the names were hard for me to grasp. Daria and Lucas, the two main characters, were easy names (although, in comparison to the rest, they seemed out of place). But the rest of the names were complex enough that I spent more time trying to remember who was who instead of getting into the story, which moved slow enough as it was. 

This, of course, is my opinion. If you enjoy novels set in this time period/region, I am sure you would enjoy this. I would have liked to see the author dive into the romance a little sooner, as I think it would have been easier to get the ball rolling.

If you want to check this book out for yourself (just because I didn't like it doesn't mean you won't love it!), head on over to Amazon, Barnes & Noble, or Thomas Nelson.

And stay tuned for the next book review...Meet Your Match (a No Match for Love novella) by Lindzee Armstrong!