Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Book Review #3 "Angel Eyes" by Shannon Dittemore

Angel Eyes
(Angel Eyes #1)
by Shannon Dittemore

How Many Stars? 5 stars!
Synopsis: Once you've seen, you can't unsee.

Brielle went to the city to chase her dreams and found tragedy instead. She's come home to shabby little Stratus, Oregon, to live with her grief and her guilt...and an incredible, numbing cold she can't seem to shake. 

Jake's the new guy at school. The boy next door with burning hands and an unbelievable gift that targets him for corruption. 

Something more than fate has brought them together. An evil bigger than both of them lurks in the shadows nearby, hiding in plain sight. Two angels stand guard, unsure what's going to happen. And a beauty brighter than either Brielle or Jake has ever seen is calling them to join the battle in a realm where all human choices begin. 

A realm that only angels and demons - and Brielle - can perceive. 

My Scribbles: (this review is from December 2012, being re-posted because the blog no longer exists) 
I received a free copy of this book and I have to admit that I read it because it was one of the best out of the choices I had to pick from. I didn't even know there was a trilogy until halfway through the first book. No future plans to read the other books...it was just a means to an end (yes, that's how I saw it). Read this book, write a review, get to move on to another book. 

And then, about 50 pages into the book, I was shocked by how complex the characters were and I felt myself feeling a little bit sad for Brielle because of all the stuff she's had to go through. And I loved the little Twilight references the author snuck in there. Cracked me up!

I love how, even though this is a Christian Fiction book and God is a very big presence in it (as well as angels, demons, halos, etc), it's not preachy. Even as a Christian, that is one of the biggest turn-offs for me when it comes to reading a book. I didn't find any preachy-ness in Angel Eyes. In fact, I was so sucked into the plot and hastily turning the pages on my Nook to find out what happened next, that I had to keep reminding myself that this is a Christian Fiction book. 

I loved the main characters! It was so easy to want everything to work out for Brielle and Jake (wanting them to hook up, as well). They were so easily likeable, but in a real sort of way. It's not fake. The plot progresses in a very natural way (even though the plot consists mostly of two kids' adventures with angels and demons...what's natural about that?). 

All in all, it was a five-star book! I loved it and can't wait until the second book comes out in a couple months so that I can continue the saga. Loved it!

Update: Since reviewing this book in December 2012, I received the second book, Broken Wings, for review and purchased the third, Dark Halo. 

If you want to check out this series, Angel Eyes, Broken Wings, and Dark Halo are all on Amazon! Stay tuned for reviews of the other two!