Thursday, June 30, 2016

Book Review #11 "Jonathon Unleashed" by Meg Rosoff

Jonathon Unleashed
by Meg Rosoff
Publish Date: July 5, 2016

How Many Stars? 0 - DNF
Format Read: eARC received free for review

Synopsis: Jonathon Trefoil's boss is unhinged, his relationship baffling, and his apartment just the wrong side of legal. His girlfriend wants to marry someone just like him - only richer and with a different sense of humor. He doesn't remember life being this confusing, back before everyone expected him to act like a grown-up. 

When his brother asks him to look after his dogs, Jonathon's world view begins to shift. Could a border collie and a cocker spaniel hold the key to life, the universe, and everything? Their sly maneuvering on daily walks and visits to the alluring vet suggest that human emotional intelligence may not be top dog after all. 

A funny, wise romantic comedy set in Manhattan, Jonathon Unleashed is a story of tangled relationships, friendships, and dogs. Rosoff's novel is for anyone wondering what to be when they grow up, and how on earth to get there. 

My Scribbles: I don't even know what book they're talking about in this synopsis because the main character, from what I was able to read, had no sense of humor at all. He was this whiny guy who's life really seems to suck. I received this book free to review and unfortunately, it isn't one that I would purchase for myself. I couldn't even get into it. I initially requested to review it because I saw "dogs" and "romance" and thought this is for me! It sounded wonderful! A romantic comedy! When I sat down to read it, however, Jonathon struck me as odd and a bit cracked. And then he goes on this interview and the boss is checking out a girl while he's interviewing him and it was all just messed up. To be honest, I didn't make it much farther than that. I tried a couple times and it just wasn't happening. 

To be fair, there are probably many people who would enjoy this book. I'm just not one of them. I read a few reviews that said it picks up toward the end. I just don't have the time or the energy to wade through a whole book of blah in order to get to the good part at the end. Hopefully, if you're reading it, you enjoy it better than I did. 

If you're interested in giving it a shot for yourself, check it out on Amazon or Penguin Random House