Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Review #14 "Beyond the Rising Tide" by Sarah Beard

Beyond the Rising Tide
by Sarah Beard
Publish Date: June 14, 2016
Published by: Cedar Fort, Inc
Genre: YA Contemporary Romance
Buy the Book: Amazon
Source: I am a Reader tour in exchange for honest review

How Many Stars? 4

A Little Teaser:
I'm not sure if I have a heart, but something in my ribcage swells at the sight of Avery. Her hair shimmers like spun gold in the sunlight, falling over her shoulder and hiding her face. She's sitting on a sheet of black rock, head bent, and the flowery skirt of her sundress ripples in the breeze. 

If she turns around, she'll see me. If I speak, she'll hear my voice. I open my mouth to do that, but it's parched, hit with an unexpected drought of words. 

I've been walking for hours, and I still don't have a solid plan. I have an end goal, but it's like looking up at the peak of a mountain when I'm still in the valley. I want Avery to find happiness again, but I have no idea how to get her there. 

My Scribbles: This is the story of a boy, Kai, who dies saving a girl, Avery. She has a hard time coping with his death so, after watching her for six months, he "borrows" a special ring and returns to Earth with a brand spankin' new (temporary) body. He wants to help her move on with her life and go back to the happy Avery she used to be. What neither of them count on happening? Falling in love!

The only thing that kept this book from being 5 stars was the lull between about the middle of the book and 3/4 of the way through. Everything seemed to me like it had been wrapped up (a sad ending but closure, nonetheless) and the book was going to end. But it didn't. I kept expecting it to. Then, I started nearing the end and was suddenly on the edge of my seat again. My mind kept coming up with possible endings but I never saw the real ending coming. All I will say is that the ending fits. It really is a great summer read!