Monday, August 1, 2016

Book Review #17 "Over Easy" by Pamela Ford (and interview!)

Over Easy
(Continental Breakfast Club #1)
by Pamela Ford
Publish Date: May 10, 2016
Published by: Aine Press
Genre: Romantic Comedy
Buy the Book: Amazon
Source: author in exchange for review
iRead Tour: here

How Many Stars? 4

Synopsis: Allie Parker's had enough. Just because she's a dog groomer, her overachieving family of doctors and lawyers treats her like a child. She's convinced that a successful husband is all she needs to change their attitudes. So when she and her friends come up with a brilliant new way to meet eligible men, Allie squeezes into her sister's stylish clothes and sneaks into continental breakfast at an upscale hotel to find herself the perfect guy. Before Allie has taken her last bite of syrup-laden waffle, she's met the man of her dreams. But what she doesn't know is that he's a jewel thief who mistakenly thinks she's his contact - and so does everyone else who's after his stash of diamonds. Suddenly Allie's world is crazily upended. And as she scrambles to prove her innocence and get back to her old life, she discovers happily ever after sneaks up when you least expect it.

My Scribbles: First of all, the only reason I gave this book 4 stars instead of 5 is because it's written in first person. That's just something that makes it hard for me to keep things straight in a book. With that said, I thought this book was hilarious! I really enjoyed the commentary in Allie's head. She goes off on these wild tangents and it was so much fun to read. I found myself wishing right away that I had signed up to read both books for the tour . . . time, however, didn't cooperate. I enjoyed the characters a lot in this book. Two of the three girls are trying to meet eligible guys by sneaking into the continental breakfasts at upscale hotels. Then, when Allie ends up with a jewel thief's briefcase and a stolen diamond ring worth half a million dollars, it takes a hilarious turn for the worst. Without giving too much away, the adventure unfolds with a "which dog ate the diamond" type problem, and a sexy dog owner who might turn out to be a little more *wink*. I loved every minute of this book and would definitely buy the second book to see what happens to one of the other characters. 

And now the really fun part . . . the interview! Let's welcome the author, Pamela Ford! 

In your book, you make reference to jewelry reps dressing down to avoid being targeted by thieves. How did you come up with this idea? 
A friend who owns a jewelry store told me that traveling jewelry sales reps had taken to wearing jeans and baseball caps, and carrying their samples in duffel bags to make themselves less identifiable to South American gangs of thieves that specifically target jewelry reps. The FBI even talks about this specific type of crime on their website.

Interesting. I didn't know that. Do you ever get writer's block? And is there something you do to help overcome it? 
I get stare-at-the-computer-screen-frozen-better-check-email-and-the-latest-news block! Usually it's a result of not knowing my main character well enough. So I stop and go back, really working out the character's background and history, and goals and motivations. Understanding my characters better helps me take them through the story.

In today's tech savvy world, most writers use a computer or laptop. Have you ever written part of your book on paper? 
No, I've never written longhand - and even when I try, I can't. My ideas seem to flow from my brain to the keyboard only!

Your book is set in the Minneapolis area (I live in Minnesota so this was exciting to me!). Have you ever been there? 
I live in Wisconsin, which is right next door and have family in Minneapolis, so I have been there many times. I even toured the University of Minnesota with my youngest.

Do you have any hidden talents? 
I'm halfway decent at computer tech support. But it's because of necessity - not necessarily interest! I've experienced so many different computer issues over the years, I've spent lots of time on the phone with tech support myself. I've learned from the best!

One more question before we go! What's one important truth you've learned about writing? 
The times when you're struggling to write, when the words aren't flowing and nothing seems to gel - just keep writing. It's amazing how, when you read over those words the next day, more often than not you discover what you wrote wasn't so bad after all.

Pamela, thanks so much for this interview and I look forward to reading the next book and seeing what other crazy shenanigans the girls get themselves into!