Sunday, September 4, 2016

Author Interview #5 - Megan Linski

Let's welcome our next visiting author, Megan Linksi! Recently, I had the opportunity to review one of Megan's books, Rhodi's Light, and I loved it! You can check out my review here but for now, let's get on to the interview, shall we?

Megan, why did you want to become an author? Did you always know it was your "calling" or is there a certain moment you can think of that put you on this path? 
I still struggle today with being certain that this is my calling. Every day, I still wonder if I'd be better off doing something else, if I chose the right path. But I think one of the things about life is that you don't choose your calling, it chooses you. I couldn't stop writing even if I wanted to (and believe me, I have tried). I realized recently that writing is literally the best thing I can do and nobody can quite write a book like I can. I sometimes think I should be doing something different. But I don't want to do anything different. Every time I've tried to run away from what I am, it always creates a situation I regret. So I do this partly because I have no choice, and partly because I would have no idea who I was without writing. I don't think anybody else would know either.

Great answer! Let's talk a little bit about Rhodi's Light. The main character, Dylan, struggles with mental illness, mainly depression, throughout the book. What made you want to add such an issue into your writing? 
My entire life, I've been surrounded by mental illness. There literally isn't one person I know who hasn't been affected by it, and it hurts more than the people diagnosed with it. When someone has depression, it's such a terrible illness that it reaches out and infects the lives of those who care about that person. It hurts so many people, and so often it just gets swept under the rug. There's such a stigma about being mentally ill, like there's something wrong with you. I want to tell all those people that they aren't broken, they're normal and this is something you can conquer.

The most important message The Rhodi Saga has is that mental illness doesn't have to define who you are. It's a part of you, but it doesn't have to become you, and you can defeat it. Dylan has depression, but depression doesn't have her for long. She learns that even though it's there, she can endure the consequences of it and still go on to live a fulfilling life. Another part I love is that her friends and family are always there for her, to support her through it. So many people don't get support from their families when they're mentally ill. It's like something they have to hide. Dylan can be open and honest about what's happening to her, and her family still doesn't see her as anyone different at the end of the day. That's how it should be.

Okay, this is a silly question but why twins? 
I used to be obsessed with twins. When I started writing Rhodi's Light, I really wanted to have twins as my own children, through birth or adoption. I'm a big fan of adoption, which is a huge theme of the series.

Do you have a particular place you like to write? Somewhere that makes the inspiration "flow"? Also...computer or pen and paper? 
I love writing outside and in nature. Anywhere outdoors is my favorite writing place, particularly if it's in a forest. However, I do my best writing when I'm trapped in unusual places. My best work has come from places like dingy, bleak offices, the back of classrooms or dingy bedrooms, even Burger King! I find being in these particularly normal surroundings pushes me to find the magic even in the most mundane. I also find I write well when I'm in some sort of emotional chaos. That pushes me to find an escape and create good from wretched situations.

Computer. Pen and paper makes my hand hurt way too much. Though typing isn't much better . . . I have to wrap my wrists and hands now with athletic tape when I write and ice my fingers at night. My old high school teacher once told me I write too much. She was write.

Wow, that's what I call dedication! Thanks so much for taking time to chat with us! Is there anything else you would like to share with us? 
How about the Rhodi's Light trailer? https://youtu.be/rJHdTPbvRJk
Or a playlist for The Rhodi Saga? https://open.spotify.com/user/12179397807/playlist/41pTZKXDVV4d9wFV1i5LEh

Check out Rhodi's Light, Rhodi Rising, and Rhodi's Lullaby on Amazon! And don't forget to visit Megan's website, her Facebook page, and Gryfyn Publishing's Facebook page! You can also receive a free book if you sign up for Megan's VIP list! Everybody loves free books :)

Happy Release Day, Megan, and thanks again for chatting with us!