Friday, September 2, 2016

Book Review #21 "Haven" by Katherine Bogle

Haven
(Chronicles of Warshard #1)
by Katherine Bogle
Publish Date: May 6, 2016
Published By: FriesenPress
Genre: Fantasy
Buy It: Amazon
Source: iRead Tours in exchange for honest review

How Many Stars? 3.5

My Scribbles: I liked and disliked this book at the same time. As a character, I really liked Haven. I did find it odd, however, that she is this really young, teenage, new Queen and every time there is a decision to be made in the group of royals, the older, more experienced kings leave it to her to solve all the problems. Also, I really did not like Kadia (the evil queen). She switches between absolutely psychotic and super happy like a little kid. It's hard to keep up with her moods and her child-like mood is actually pretty creepy. She tortures Haven and I can't say I was on board with that part of the book. Then you have Haven's PTSD after she escapes from Kadia. That's not the part I have a problem with. It's the fact that we go through the "don't touch me" over and over. Then she meets this sweet little girl with the amazing ability to help people with magic and bam! She's suddenly okay. I understand it's magic but that seemed a bit convenient to me.

My opinions of this book were not all critical. I enjoyed most of the characters and their relationships. I love the idea of the multiple kingdoms and could actually see Haven as a real person. I would have liked to get to know her a bit more but she didn't seem like a two-dimensional character so I was very pleased with that.  It was also nice to see a royal interacting with her guards other than as a Queen. She was a real person to them, a friend.

Will I continue the series? As of right now, I am undecided. When I finished the book, I wasn't certain I wanted to keep going but as I sit, I find myself drawn back to it, curious to see how the saga continues. I enjoyed the world that the author created and I would like to see more of it. So, I think I most likely will continue it.

Now, how about an interview with the author, herself? Let's welcome Katherine Bogle! 

In your novel, Haven, your protagonist is immortal. How did you come up with this idea? 
The idea to have an immortal protagonist came in the same dream that gave me the idea for Haven. Originally, I wasn't sure if I wanted to keep this idea or not, since having a main character who can't be killed kind of dulls the impact of fighting scenes. In the end, I kept Haven immortal because that's what her people need - a queen who cannot be killed. It also lends a heavy hand in Haven's character development, as she sees herself as cursed by immortality, instead of gifted.

How long have you been writing? 
I've been writing since I was in elementary school. From fan fiction, to roleplaying, I've done it all over the years! My true passion for writing came in high school when I wrote my first novel and discovered how amazing creating a world all your own could be.

Do you only write young adult fantasy? What other genres can we expect from you?
As much as I love YA fantasy, I adore science fiction as well! I'm also a huge fan of steampun.

Do you have another profession besides writing? 
By day I'm a photographer and YouTuber, by night I write!

What is your next project? 
I have a few coming projects, including a new adult superhero series, an adult sci-fi and an adult steampunk. If you want to know more about any of these works, check out my website: http://katherinebogle.com

It's always fun to have a little giveaway, too!

a Rafflecopter giveaway