Saturday, September 10, 2016

Review #22 "Rhodi's Light" by Megan Linski

Rhodi's Light
(The Rhodi Saga #1)
by Megan Linski
Publish Date: September 4, 2016
Published by: Gryfyn Publishing
Genre: Dystopian Fantasy
Pre-order: Amazon
Source: author in exchange for honest review

How Many Stars? 5

Synopsis: Flight. Hyperspeed. Clairvoyance. 

These are some of the powers gifted to the Rhodi, an ancient sect of assassins who defend Crescentia, a dystopian world with a dying hope. 

Dyliana Fairsson is one of them. After losing her parents to a suspicious accident, she and her twin brother, Devin, join the Rhodi to avoid starvation. Under the direction of her master, Dylan struggles to learn the strength of her magic . . . as well as hide the growing scars on her wrists. Can Dylan become the warrior, the hero, she's destined to be? Or is she fated to fall from the light into the darkness? 

My Scribbles: This book was something completely new for me. When I first started it, I thought I was reading a straight-up fantasy novel, with the intense world-building and the characters. It all seemed very fantasy-ish to me (like something out of Game of Thrones or a similar world). But then you add in cars and cell phones and it turns into this dystopian world, but still keeping many of the fantasy aspects. It's a combination I haven't seen before and, though I wasn't sure it would work in the beginning, I very quickly got sucked down Linski's rabbit hole and found myself lost in the world of Crescentia, not wanting it to end. At the same time, though, I was flying through the pages, eager to see how it eventually wold end, and how it leads into the next book. The ending, I will admit, wasn't what I was hoping would happen with the main characters but it should make for a very exciting book 2. 

A lot of what I loved about this book was the characters. At first, I really wasn't fond of Dylan. She was whiny. Not my kind of character. But she grew out of that (thankfully!) and I loved watching the bonds form between students and masters. 

I originally gave this book 4 out of 5 stars when I reviewed it on Goodreads but have since changed that. It was more because I was still upset with the ending. What can I say . . . I'm an emotional reader! 

If you love dystopian and fantasy books, you should definitely check this one out when it comes out in September! I loved it!